Every idea is based on a belief. Any theological statement made is founded on a set of beliefs (perameters.) Sometimes this is intentional, and sometimes it is not.
A problem I have faced as I have sorted through ideas about God, Jesus, Christianity, Religon, etc. is my uncertainty about the authority of scripture. As I discuss ideas with my peers, the Bible seems to consistently be one of those given beliefs, given perameters.
But I often wonder if we have assigned too much authority to the Bible. Are we reading too much into the Bible as individual verses, passages, chapters, and books? Many will agree that individual stories in the Hebrew Scriptures are included to teach lessons. It can be argued that the story of Creation is not included to report history, but instead to tell that this is a created world, (amongst other lessons.) So then I ask, why do we limit that to the Hebrew Scriptures? Could there be so much to learn from the life of Jesus without focusing and "betting on" the historical reality of his crucifixion and physical resurrection? Could the purpose of the Bible be to present one universal message? Could the Hebrew Scriptures speak of a God of love; could the Gospels speak of a man who showed us how to love; could the letters speak reminders and of applications of the love we were showed by God?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment